Teenagers don’t always make the best decisions when it comes to alcohol. While teen drunk driving has decreased since the early 90s, it is still a problem that needs to be addressed. When it comes to drunk driving accidents, teens are involved in a large percentage. Generally this is due to their inexperience behind the wheel, an inexperience with alcohol, and a false sense of immortality. Ensuring that teens are properly educated regarding the dangers of drunk driving can lead to them making smarter choices. Learn about teen drunk driving statistics, drunk driving prevention, and education below.
Teen Drunk Driving Statistics
Drivers between the ages of 16 and 20 are seventeen times more likely to die in a car crash after they have been drinking compared to young drivers who are sober. The number of teen drunk drivers has decreased by more than half since the early 1990s but the statistics are still frightening. Research has shown that as many as 1 in 10 teens in high school will drink and drive. One of the first steps in reducing the number of teen drunk drivers is educating them on the dangers as well as the consequences of drunk driving.
Teen Drunk Driving Education and Prevention
In order to prevent teen drunk driving, kids must be properly educated on the dangers and consequences of operating a vehicle under the influence. They also need to understand the dangers of underage drinking. In most states, young drivers are required to take a course in order to obtain their license. Sadly, many of these courses do not cover drinking and driving extensively. As such it is up to parents and other adults in a teens life to teach them the importance of only driving when sober. Safety courses are also available for young drivers. These courses will not only teach safe driving practices but can potentially save money on car insurance rates as well.
To learn more about teens and drunk driving, check out the following resources:
- Young Drivers & Alcohol – An article discussing the problem of drunk driving accidents with young drivers and what can be done to prevent drunk driving.
- Teen Drinking & Driving – A fact sheet from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on teen drinking and driving.
- We Don’t Serve Teens – Tools and information from the Federal Trade Commission to help parents reduce teen drinking.
- Teenage Driver Crash Statistics – A list of resource providing crash statistics and information on teen drivers.
- Teens More Likely To Drive Drunk After Riding With Intoxicated Passengers – An article discussing how teens have a higher chance of driving drunk after riding with intoxicated passengers.
- Teen Driver Resources – Information on priority areas to prevent teen driving injuries from the California DMV.
- Teens and Alcohol – An article discussing the importance of parents keeping a continuing open dialogue with kids regarding drunk driving.
- Driving Under The Influence – A list of statistics with information on teens driving under the influence.
- Underage Drinking and Driving – Information on some of the potential fines and punishments that underage drunk drivers face (fines and punishments will vary by state).
- Teen Driver Safety – Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens; the National Safety Council provides education and resources on teen driver safety.
- Underage Drinking – An overview of alcohol consumption by underage drinkers from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Underage Drinking Prevention – An underage drinking prevention PSA from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Consequences of Underage Drinking – Information on some of the short and long term consequences of underage drinking.
- Underage DUI/DWI Laws – An overview of the laws on underage driving under the influence; this is a general overview as laws will vary by state.
- Underage Drinking – Learn about underage alcohol consumption from the Johns Hopkins University.
- Underage Drinking Stats – A list of underage drinking statistics from the SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) organization.
- Underage Drunk Driving Fatalities – A graph outlining the number of underage drunk driving fatalities from 1991 to 2011.
- Zero Tolerance for Underage Drinking – An overview of the zero tolerance laws that some states have for underage drinking and possession of alcohol.
- The Choices Teens Face About Drinking and Driving – An article explaining some of the choices teens face when it comes to drinking and driving.
By Ted Burgess